Friday, February 15, 2008

Why I Like Sports....

All my life I have been playing and watching sports. Many people only play or watch one sport but I enjoy playing and learning, and really could watch, any type of sport. Ever since I was 4 years old, I was athletic playing various sports on my block: basketball, football, baseball, soccer, hockey, etc. My dad played soccer when he was young and he knew how much sports have impacted his life; he wanted me to experience the same thing so he got me into soccer and basketball in the early years.

I played basketball for my church from third grade to eighth grade and for my Intermediate School in the eighth grade as well; playing an organized sport instead of in the street was a great experience at such a young age and helped me with team work and focusing to strive for the best. Throughout High School, I played basketball and soccer all four years, volleyball three years, and lacrosse one year. My main sport was basketball; I have won many awards playing for my school:
2006-2007 Varsity MVP
2007 Staten Island High School League All Tournament Team
2007 Varsity Club
Zaborowski Award
2006-2007 Scholar Athlete
2005-2007 Defensive Player of the Year
2004-2005 JV MVP

Everyone has a sports idol or favorite player in their life; mine was Michael Jordan. Jordan played for the Chicago Bulls and won 6 NBA titles with them in the '90s. I have always enjoyed watching him play up until he retired in 2003; he is known as the best player ever to play the game.

Since playing on a sports team in school, you couldn't fail more then 2 classes on the report card otherwise you couldn't play; so playing in High School also kept my grades high because I worked hard in the classroom as well to keep doing what I enjoy most!

No comments: